Friday, March 31, 2006

The ritual

"You know me - I don’t need no introduction and shit" (#1 stunna)

It is hard to explain the relationship that exists between me and my mother, but to southern girls, especially those my age, it makes perfect sense. I have a ritual in preparation of going home. The ritual was born out of my own odd fragile emotions. She is never critical, but she makes these little comments, so I try to move closer and closer to perfection. Which is I am sure what she has in mind.

Last night it was a mani/pedi and eyebrow waxing. I strolled into my nail bar and was greeted by my manicurist – “Hey Baby” and hugs were shared. She teases me after waxing my eyebrows that they are now even. Sadly, I took it upon myself to clean them up a bit last weekend before the Rockets game. Thankfully she can repair the damage that I have done. I sit back and enjoy the gentle sounds of their voices speaking to each other in Vietnamese. I leave feeling refreshed and protective of my new pretty nails….

Tonight it will be hair color & cut. Arthur will work his magic and make my hair once again all shiny and blonde. So no sitting on the couch tonight, I will be all shiny and freshly blown. I actually catch myself strutting when I leave the salon, which is hilarious to me, as I am such a mouse most of the time.

She expects none of this from me, but I think of her as my role model, and I have a lot to live up to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home