Monday, August 28, 2006

What Color is your Rainbow? Mine is Black.


The world is a vampire, sent to drain
Secret destroyers, hold you up to the flames
And what do I get, for my pain?
Betrayed desires, and a piece of the game
(Smashing Pumpkins)
My new manicure. Toes painted black. My roommate jokes that they are black like my soul. I find it lovely. But my toes are slathered in a color that is considered hot at the moment. Funny how things spin around. My black, the color of angst. My little bit of punk rock rebellion is no longer really a rebellion. It is like hearing The Ramones "Gabba Gabba Hey" during a cell phone commercial. Skulls lose their edge, and suddenly pink seems more subversive.

But I find that idea of my black soul has me contemplating my angst. Following me into adulthood. I assumed that upon reaching my 30s I would no longer feel sad in a non-explainable melancholy sort of way. Of course I knew that there would be sadness, but I assumed that it would be grown up, explainable, curable and/or preventable sadness. Something to be dealt with and handled in a mature fashion. But securely in my 30s, I still find myself standing on the edge of the shore, water kissing my toes, beckoning me to slid under the cool waters and float listlessly along. How often I give into this moment. Perhaps that is the true sign of adulthood, when you can resist the pull of angst. When you reject that selfish moment, pulling yourself out of bed to deal with the world.

6 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, Blogger Mailyn said...

In spite of my rage I'm still just a rat in caaage!!!!

LOL. I LOVE that song! Hated the Pumpkins but gotta love that song! Love the toenails! I have a deep blood red right now on mines. I love the shoes as well!

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Mailyn said...

PS. My rainbow probably is black as well. But that's just the disorder. I hope. LOL.

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Really like the toes!

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Beta Fishy said...

Thanks all. I have to admit the toes make me feel peaceful when I look down. Perhaps that is a disorder as well....

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger changapeluda said...

Black Toe-nail Polish is the tits!


Just a hint of Freaky, without
over-doing it.
You know what I'm saying?

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Beta Fishy said...

Gotta love freaky!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home