Tuesday, August 29, 2006

List of my banned books....

I was tagged by Mailyn to list the books that I dislike. I should probably explain, I read a lot. Sometimes these books are just bland and I usually don’t recall them. That is unless I accidentally pick it up and start reading it again. Then I get that odd feeling like I have done this before. These books are ones that were recommended to me, or they are by authors that I usually enjoy. So that is why they have stuck in my mind.

1. Wicked by Gregory Maguire - Perhaps I like my wicked witches to be mysterious and evil, not misunderstood, romantically-challenged and politically subversive. Perhaps if there were song and dance breaks written into the book.

2. The Witching Hour series by Ann Rice - I usually enjoy her books, but this series just kept going and going and going. I liked the first book, but about half way through the second book, it seemed that she ran out of story ideas and just started writing anything. And then there was three.

3. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver - This book was recommended to me by a psych professor. The three daughters in the book are staged at three different developmental stages and Kingsolver does a remarkable job depicting these. Other than that.....

4. Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins - I love that he is quirky, but this one was just too quirky for me.

5. The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding - Just because you scored a movie deal with the first novel, it does not mean that you have to force more story where there clearly was none. Why did Bridget have to go to prison?!?!

6. The May Queen: Women on Life, Love, Work and Pulling it all Together in your 30s by Andrea N. Richesin - This is a collection of short stories, and some are quite lovely. However, I have this book firmly wedged between my mattress and box spring to prevent the evil from escaping into the world. This is no inspirational book. These women hit thirty, said “Oh, my fucking God!” and had it pulled together in a matter of minutes. Blah!

7. The Other Side of the Mountain by John Braswell - Read it in high school and the description of eating raw frogs will stay with me until my death.

8. Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier - It just kept getting sadder and sadder and sadder.

9. Disappearing Act by Terry McMillan - He was a loser when she meet him, a loser while she dated him, and a loser when she broke up. So what was the point of the book?

10. Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein - Okay this could simply be because it was my ex-husband's favorite book.

11. Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton - I keep trying and trying and trying, but I can’t get past the first chapter.

12. She’s Come Undone by Wally Lamb - Bad, bad, bad. I had to stop reading it.

7 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Mailyn said...

Maybe Wicked would have been better if the munchkins {or whatever they were called} busted out the moves. LOL. Everyone seems to like the play better than the book. I think you hit it right with the lack of music when you read. Maybe an audio book with musical numbers? LOL.

Gawd, The Edge of Reason. I was forced to watch the movie {I hate chick flicks} by my best friend. I wanted to shoot Bridget, the dudes, and the director. Ugh. It was even worse than the first movie. I can't comment on the books since I haven't been forced to read them. LOL.

Stranger in a Strange Land and Cry the Beloved Country. HATED them both. These, along with a few others, are deemed excellent but I fail to see why. It was horrible to try and get through them. Sadly enough I was forced to. It was for school. Ugh.

Great list!

Didn't know you were divorced. Cool.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Beta Fishy said...

Thanks! Sorry it took forever, I went totally blank for a while.

I have been divorced FOREVER. I had one of those starter marriages right out of high school....silly me. He is planning to propose to his new girlfriend, who is a doctor, so I don't believe in karma anymore. LOL! Actually he is an okay guy. We were just young.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger changapeluda said...

I had to stop reading 2 and 12 as well! ( "And Toto, too!)

I loved Bean Trees and The Prodigal Summer by Kingsolver.
Wonder what happened.

Cold Mountain was very sad. I was grossed out and intrigued by the whole hatching wound description.

You are right! Bridget Jones shoulda never ended up the way she did....that was a Disgusting sequel if I ever read or saw one.

Gian is currently reading the sequel to Wicked, I forget what it's called but there's a manwitch on the cover....
He's (my big son) such a theater geek! I love it.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger changapeluda said...

Oh an why I ever thought I would enjoy a book by a guy named Wally Lamb, I'll never know....I think I read one page. Pretty cover, though.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger changapeluda said...

Son of a Witch!

(sequel to Wicked)

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Kelly Wolfe said...

What a cool idea. There are many books I have stopped reading... and then there are those that I devour and read obsessively toward the finishing line. I can't wait to finish it, yet I dread finishing it because then it will be over.



Lisa

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Beta Fishy said...

Changapeluda - I also loved The Bean Tree, perhaps that is why I was so disappointed. Ah, then perhaps your son can tell me if Wicked is better on the stage. I could not imagine how they would turn the book into a musical.

Lisa/Kelly - I can't take credit for the idea it was all Mailyn. But I understand the feeling of not wanting some books to end.

E4c5 - I agree.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home